New uterine-sparing minimally invasive fibroid removal available at our Austin Fertility Center
Many women suffer from pain and discomfort caused by fibroids. Heavy periods, pelvic pain and trouble emptying your bladder can negatively impact your quality of life. Alternatives to a hysterectomy include drug therapy, uterine artery embolization, endometrial ablation, laparoscopic myomectomy and a new treatment option that uses radiofrequency. Texas Fertility Center offers Acessa as a surgical treatment for symptomatic fibroids.
The Acessa procedure is minimally invasive, but highly effective
The Acessa procedure utilizes the latest visualization equipment and radiofrequency ablation to treat uterine fibroids. During this minimally invasive outpatient procedure, an Austin fertility center physician will make three very small abdominal incisions to access, shrink and destroy fibroids. Best of all, this laparoscopic surgery works on fibroids of varying sizes and locations, causing significantly less uterine damage than large incisions and tissue dissection.
This fibroid treatment is performed while the patient is under general anesthesia and it involves five steps.
- First, your surgeon will make three small incisions. These abdominal incisions are only about ¼” in length.
- Your surgeon will then insert a laparoscopic ultrasound probe. The purpose of the probe is to determine the size and location of all fibroids.
- Next, your surgeon will insert the Acessa handpiece tip into the fibroid with ultrasound guidance.
- Your physician will then deploy the electrode array into the fibroid.
- Finally, your surgeon will apply radiofrequency energy to the fibroid. The strength of the energy is determined by the location and size of your fibroid. This same step will be performed on every fibroid
After treatment, the fibroid tissue will shrink and, in some cases, it will be completely reabsorbed by the body, leaving no traces of the fibroid.
Since the Acessa procedure is minimally invasive, recovery is fast and you can get back to your life sooner
Our Austin fertility center team believes that sparing the uterus for future fertility and a fast recovery time are key reasons women will choose the Acessa procedure. Patients can go home the same day, and most women can go back to work in 3-5 days.
If you are interested in applying to be a part of a clinical study for fibroids, please apply here>>.