After Your First Fertility Appointment
Learn what you need to consider after your first fertility appointment
Congratulations on taking the first step on your path to parenthood with our Austin fertility clinic. After your first fertility appointment, you likely have a better idea about what to expect from the fertility treatment process. You may also be making appointments for fertility tests. Our team knows this process can seem overwhelming at first, so we’ve written this guide to help you take the next step on your family-building journey.
What do you need to think about after your first fertility appointment?
Now that you’ve met your fertility doctor and discussed your concerns, it’s time to think about how you want to proceed with treatment. This will involve revisiting some questions that you may have considered before your first visit.
- What are your family-building goals? You can always change your mind later, but it’s very helpful to at least start with an idea of how many children you would like to have.
- What treatments are you willing to try? In order for us to develop a customized treatment plan for you, it’s important to know whether you’re only interested in more natural approaches to conception like oral fertility medications or IUI, or whether you’re willing to try more advanced options like surgery or IVF.
- What is your budget, and do you have coverage? After your first fertility appointment, our team recommends coming up with a fertility treatment budget. This process will give you control over your fertility journey and it will also help us set expectations and develop the most cost-effective plan for you. As a part of this process, it’s critical to learn what your insurance will (and won’t) cover.
Sharing your answers to these questions will help you and your doctor work together to create a customized fertility treatment plan to meet your unique needs and goals.
We made it easy to take the questions with you to your appointment.
Questions bring to your next appointment list.
Consider the success rates of different treatments as you develop your plan
So many different factors can influence fertility treatment success rates, including your age, your diagnosis and your partner’s fertility history and status. One thing we have learned by helping 24,000 couple become families is that no two patients are the same. However, many patients find that it’s helpful to know the average success rates for different treatments.
- Unmedicated intrauterine insemination (IUI): Average pregnancy rates of 6% to 10%
- IUI with oral fertility medications: Average pregnancy rates of 8% to 12%
- IUI with injectable fertility medications: Average pregnancy rates of 20% to 25%
- In vitro fertilization (IVF): Average pregnancy rates depend significantly on age
- IVF with preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy (PGT-A): Average pregnancy rates depend significantly on the woman’s age and whether she wants to test her embryos’ chromosomes, but for every chromosomally normal embryo that we transfer, you should expect a pregnancy rate of 60-65%.
If you have more questions after your first fertility appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our Austin fertility clinic team is here to support you on your path to parenthood.