Answering questions about ovarian stimulation for egg freezing
Ovarian stimulation is an important part of many fertility treatments, including egg freezing. When a woman is considering fertility preservation, she may have questions about ovarian stimulation for egg freezing. The experienced and personable physicians at our Austin egg freezing center are always happy to answer questions like this one.
The basics of ovarian stimulation for egg freezing
Ovarian stimulation for egg freezing helps women produce multiple eggs, which the experts at our Austin egg freezing center can then freeze. Ovarian stimulation takes approximately two weeks and involves at-home administration of fertility medications and frequent monitoring appointments with the physicians at our Austin egg freezing center.
The steps in ovarian stimulation for egg freezing are as follows:
- The woman will have an initial consultation so that our egg freezing specialists can evaluate her medical history and explain the egg freezing process.
- On the third day of the woman’s menstrual cycle, she will undergo blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound to assess her hormone levels and ovarian reserve, or egg supply. These findings will help the physician develop the best ovarian stimulation protocol for the patient.
- Before the woman begins taking medications for ovarian stimulation, she will take birth control pills for a few weeks. Birth control pills give a woman more control over the timing of her egg freezing cycle while also helping her ovaries respond better to fertility medications.
- The woman then begins ovarian stimulation, which involves daily self-administered injections of fertility medications. She will also visit our Austin egg freezing center for ultrasounds and blood work to assess the progress of the ovarian stimulation.
- When the ovarian follicles that contain the eggs have matured, the woman will receive a trigger shot. Then, approximately 35 hours later, she will return to our Austin egg freezing center for egg retrieval, an outpatient procedure in which a fertility specialist retrieves the woman’s mature eggs.
From start to finish, the process takes approximately three weeks. However, it may take more or less time, depending on a woman’s response to the medications for ovarian stimulation.
Egg freezing with Texas Fertility Center
Our Austin egg freezing center offers the latest assisted reproductive technologies to help women take control of their fertility, including egg and embryo freezing.
If you would like to learn more about ovarian stimulation for egg freezing, please contact us for an appointment with one of our caring and knowledgeable specialists.